Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Open, Open, Open


I'm so excited about this I think I may pull something. Have you heard? A brand new Broken Yolk Cafe is all set to open in the Gaslamp in early 2009!!! Yes, the same Broken Yolk where every worth-her-tan lines 21-year-old San Diego chick went on Sunday mornings in PB to knock back mimosas (and breakfast) after a long night at Moose's. I don't remember (or even care) if the food was all that great. All I know is that for the longest time (just ask #1) I have been complaining about the dearth of a decent homestyle diner or coffeeshop-type-place in San Diego's Gaslamp District. If I'm forgetting one, please let me know, but I've looked and looked for many, many (don't want to age myself too much) many years.


I'm talking about a dining establishment on the order of Mel's in San Francisco (also in LA). Oh, how I miss that place from my law school days. (Would it be too much to ask that they open one of those in San Diego?) The meatloaf, the grilled cheese, the shakes. It was just the kind of comfort food the body craves in those witching hours between 11:30 p.m. and 2:30 a.m. And just the kind of place the Gaslamp has always been missing. I still remember my poor girlfriends and I, hunkered down in the parking lot of the 11th Street Jack-in-the-Box, attacking a bag of greasy tacos after going hard at Tsunami's all night. If our mothers only knew.


This past year, I thought I'd finally found what I was looking for in Maryjane's Coffeeshop at the Hard Rock Hotel. And Maryjane's has been good to me. Just walking in that place makes me feel like such a hip mom. Got so addicted to that feeling, in fact, that I've dragged all of my out-of-town guests there since it opened. But then there was the time that Snook almost got run over in the hotel lobby by a half-naked-drunk-off-his-tuchis hotel guest, which got me thinking I probably needed to come up with an alternative.

Enter the Broken Yolk. I'm planning to sit in front of that place desperate-holiday-shopper-style until they open their doors. I can already picture Bubs happily dropping greasy spoon after greasy spoon. Anyone up for a breakfast/lunch date (with kids of course)? So excited!

1 comment:

Krista said...

My friend Shai recently told me MaryJanes has great chicken soup. I have got to give it a try!