Saturday, August 22, 2009

All By Myself

"WOMAN ALONE" A.H. Clemens

People do their best to clue you in on a lot of things when you are about to become a mom. The sleep deprivation. That you are on-duty 24/7, and you must be "on" that entire time. The overwhelming responsibility. The bad jeans. But one thing that fails to come across is that as a mom, you are hardly ever, almost never, by yourself. Alone. Solitary. That's been one of the biggest shockers and toughest things for me for sure. Well, this morning the front door closed, the car pulled out of the driveway, and I am now home alone. And not just for an hour or two. Probably for more like seven or eight hours. So here's my list of things to do today (after I stop shrieking gleefully):

Clean the bathroom.
Clean out the refrigerator.
Organize the kids' closet.
Dust the blinds.
Change all the sheets.
Do a couple of loads of laundry.
Clip the dog's toenails.
Take a shower.
Finish Snook's scrapbook (for the first year of her life).
Sort the remaining mounds of baby photos.
Write a thank-you note.
Get a pedi-polish.
Try out that new Middle-Eastern-organic-sandwich shop.
Take a West-African dance class.
Walk in the late-summer rainstorm.

And I could not be happier. (Thank you, hon. Tomorrow's your day.)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Sounds like you're going to have a great day! It's amazing how exciting cleaning the bathroom and organizing a closet can be when you have the house to yourself, huh? And now I don't feel so bad about not finishing Ian's 1st year scrapbook either (I'm only on month 4, I think)...Did you really take an African dance class? Ambitious, I must say!

Heidi said...

Hi Marcy. Well, they came home a lot earlier than expected so no West-Af dance class for me. I was WAY too ambitious. Hope you're having a great weekend!

Alice Q. Foodie said...

Even with as much free time as I have - I am always overly ambitious about how much I can get done in a day! Still, it's gotta be nice to have some time to yourself. This is one of the things that is most daunting to me about the whole kid question - the no private time or down time. The older I get, the more of that I seem to need - so you see my dilemma!

Karen said...

That is/was quite a list! I hope you enjoyed your time alone. My little ones will be heading to preschool two 1/2 days a week and I'm hoping to get a lot accomplished during those times alone!

hlo said...

That is one long to-do list! You're ambitious my dear friend:)

Krista said...

that sounds like heaven!